Soldier in the Grass

This one varies between “almost cussing” and “actual cussing,” and is recorded back to at least 1959:

“Soldier in the grass
has a bullet up his er…butt
take it out, take it out
like a good girl scout

The word “soldier” varies – it’s often been “nazi” or any number of racial terms.

(Visited 965 times, 1 visits today)

Florida, 1954, at a religious high school's version of ROTC. We were supposed to be medics if we were drafted, so the "pull it out" fit.

My father always had a real problem with Frenchmen ('Damn pussies, the lot of them') so our family's version went like this:
    Frenchman in the grass,
    Bloody bullet up his ass,
    Pull it out, pull it out,
    Now that's a good Girl Scout!

However, he usually sang it something like this:
    Frenchman in the grass,
    Bloody bullet up his ass…
    But, by God, what EVERYTHING has been up them Frenchies asses, he shouldn't be so damn surprised. I swear, we could send some little girls up there and it'd scare the pants off those French 'soldiers'. Disgrace to the world's militaries, the dick-takin' lot of them.

4. Mohammad Wong

I learned it as:

There's a n****r in the grass
    with a bullet up his ass
    pull it out, pull it out
    like a good Boy Scout

Southern California, late 60's.

5. Eileen Tsiapanos

I remember this, as well. It was the mid to late '70's. So it WAS wartime-Vietnam, in fact. We sang this song. Who knew it wud make it into peacetime and the Internet? Lol. I loved the song then, love it more now. Now that it's peacetie again.. Who knows how long THAT's gonna last, tho?

6. ManilasMan

There's a snake in the grass
    with a bullet up it's ass
    Take it in, take it out
    like a good Boy Scout.

Toronto, Ontario late 70's

7. Nowaymom

mine was the version of 'southern calif, late 60s'. I had this sing-song run thru my head a week ago. my brother's friend Stephan taught it to me when I was five or so. I just emailed my sister to verify how racist we were. New Hyde Park, NY.

8. Nowaymom

circa 1972

9. anonymous

i learned it theres a snake in the grass with a bullet up its ass stick it in stick it out like a good girl/boy scout

10. George Phillips

I think it is so nice and cowardly how we white people admit to our racism in privacy.